Caring for the Critically Ill
Knowledge and skills in the area of emergency care is crucial in Zambia to ensure the overall health and well-being of its citizens. Trauma injuries result in more than 80% of avoidable deaths and are a pressing concern for many Low and Middle Income Countries. The provision of timely treatment during life-threatening emergencies is often not a priority. Many healthcare providers in Zambia don’t have specific training in emergency medicine.
OkaZHI’s Emergency program focuses on ‘Emergency fundamentals,’ which have become a dynamic and expanding part of the OkaZHI educational curriculum. Through many years of collaboration with our Zambian colleagues, it was identified that there is a need for innovative education on fundamental aspects of emergency medicine within the Western Province of Zambia. As a result, 2016 marked the launch of our formal interdisciplinary emergency fundamentals training program in Mongu, Zambia.
The primary objective of our teachings is to build a sustainable foundation of individuals with emergency medicine training, so local healthcare leaders can continue with emergency fundamental teachings in the future.
- Developed 5-day hands on emergency fundamentals course with corresponding course manual in Spring of 2016 and 2017:
- Education for nearly 100 local healthcare professionals
- Topics included; primary assessment framework, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, triage and care for specific populations.
- Courses included guest lectures from Zambian healthcare professionals, in order to provide local expertise and context.
- Ongoing education and skill building in the area of emergent care for healthcare providers in Zambia
- Skype educational sessions on identified emergency care case scenarios
- We are actively recruiting new ‘Emergency Care’ volunteers with expertise in the following disciplines: paramedics, respiratory therapists, physicians, and nurses.
Program Lead: Victoria Frost
Any questions, comments and inquiries regarding this program can be sent to email@example.com.